Fundamentals of Electrical Machines, Second Edition
Authors: Mohd. Abdus Salam
978-81-8487-163-0 Publication Year: Reprint 2013
Pages: 416 Binding: Paper Back
About the book
FUNDAMENTALS OF ELECTRICAL MACHINES has been revised thoroughly for readers, specially undergraduate students, to have a better and a clearer understanding of the subject. The following topics are new to the second edition:
• Review of electric circuits.
• Fleming’s rule and mutual inductance.
• Exact and approximate equivalent circuit of a transformer.
• Transformer losses.
• Parallel connection of transformer with equal and unequal voltage ratios.
• Transformer cooling and instrument transformers.
• Power system symbols and per unit systems.
• Demagnetizing and cross magnetizing components.
• Details of armature voltage control method.
• Speed control of dc motor by thyristor and diode.
• Dynamic and regenerative braking of dc motor.
• Approximate equivalent circuit and condition for maximum mechanical power of
three-phase induction motor.
• Classification of three-phase motor by properties.
• Cogging, crawling and double squirrel cage motor.
• Details of speed control of three-phase induction motor.
• Stepper motor and its classification.
Answers to all exercise problems are included at the end to encourage problem solving. An instructor’s manual is also available to academics upon request.
Preface / Review of Electric Circuits / Basics of Magnetic Circuits / Transformer and Per Unit System / Direct Current Generators / Direct Current Motors / Control and Starting of a DC Motors / Three-phase Induction Motor / Starting, Control and Testing of an Induction Motor / Synchronous Generator / Synchronous Motor / Single-phase Motors / References / Appendixes / Index.