Complex Analysis:for Mathematics and Engineers, Fifth Edition
Authors: J. H. Mathews, R. W. Howell
978-81-7319-761-1 Publication Year: Reprint 2013
Pages: 648 Binding: Paper Back
About the book
Complex Analysis for Mathematics and Engineering, Fifth Edition is intended for undergraduate students majoring in mathematics, physics, or engineering. The authors strike a balance between the pure and applied aspects of complex analysis, and present concepts in a clear writing style that is appropriate for students at the junior/senior undergraduate level.
Through its comprehensive, student-friendly presentation and numerous applications, the Fifth Edition of this classic text allows students to work through even the most difficult proofs with ease. Believing that mathematicians, engineers, and scientists should be exposed to a careful presentation of mathematics, the authors devote attention to important topics such as ensuring that required assumptions are met before using a theorem, confirming that algebraic operations are valid, and checking that formulas are not blindly applied. A new chapter on z-transforms and applications provides students with a current look at Digital Filter Design and Signal Processing.
• NEW! Chapter 9 is new to this edition and is dedicated to z-transforms, the math needed for engineering applications such as Digital Filter Design and Signal Processing.
• The text models good proofs and guides students through the details.
• Exercise sets offer a wide variety of choices for computational skills, theoretical understanding, and applications.
• Applications show how complex analysis is used in science and engineering. Illustrations include the z-transform, ideal fluid flow, steady-state temperatures, and electrostatics.
• Coverage of Julia and Mandelbrot sets.
• Interactive website includes bibliographical library resources, undergraduate research, and complementary software using F(Z)Tm, MathematicaTm, and MapleTm.
• Solutions to odd-numbered problem assignments are included as an appendix
Complex Numbers / Complex Functions / Analytic and Harmonic Functions / Sequences, Julia and Mandelbrot Sets, and Power Series / Elementary Functions / Complex Integration / Taylor and Laurent Series / Residue Theory / z-Transforms and Applications / Conformal Mapping / Applications of Harmonic Functions / Fourier Series and the Laplace Transform / Answers / Index.
Undergraduate – Postgraduate Students in Mathematics & Engineering