E-ISBN: Publication Year: 2017
Binding: Paper Back Dimension: 185mm x 240mm Weight: 900
About the book
SOLID STATE PHYSICS presents the introductory course of solid state physics. The book covers the topics for one year course in “Solid State Physics” for M.Sc. physics students. Two important chapters 16 and 17 are devoted to Introduction of Nanomaterials and Surface Properties of Solids, respectively. Fundamental concepts in each article are presented in a simple manner so that students can understand these easily. The other topics included in the book are: Crystal structure, Reciprocal lattice and crystal diffraction, Crystal binding and elastic constants, Lattice vibrations, Thermal properties of solids, Free electron theory of metals, Band theory of solids, Semiconductors, Fermi surfaces of solids, Crystal defects in solids, Magnetic Properties of solids, Ferromagnetism, anti-ferromagnetism and ferrimagnetism, Dielectric properties of solids, Magnetic resonance, Superconductivity.
This book can serve as text book for teaching course of solid state physics to M.Sc. Physics students. It provides theoretical background needed by physicists doing research in the field of solid state physics and material science.
• In chapter 1, the unit cells for several crystals are drawn.
• In chapter 3, the Madelung constant is calculated for several structures using Evjen Neutral Group Method.
• In chapter 7, width and gap of bands are calculated using tight binding theory for SC, BCC and FCC crystals.
• In chapter 9, construction and reduced zone scheme of Fermi surface is given.
• Chapter 16 provides the introduction of nanomaterials.
• The derivation of formulas in the book is very elaborative.
Table of Contents
Preface / Crystal Structure / Crystal Diffraction / Crystal Binding and Elastic Constants / Lattice Vibrations / Thermal Properties of Solids / Free Electron Theory of Metals / Band Theory of Solids / Semiconductors / Fermi Surface in Solids / Crystal Defects in Solids / Magnetic Properties of Solids / Ferromagnetism, Anti-Ferromagnetism and Ferrimagnetism / Dielectric Properties of Solids / Magnetic Resonance / Superconductivity / Introduction of Nanomaterials / Surface Properties of Solids / References / Index.