Fundamentals of Electrical Machines , Second Edition
Author(s): Mohd. Abdus Salam
E-ISBN: Publication Year: Reprint 2013
Binding: Paper Back Dimension: 185mm x 240mm Weight: 600
About the book
FUNDAMENTALS OF ELECTRICAL MACHINES has been revised thoroughly for readers, specially undergraduate students, to have a better and a clearer understanding of the subject. The following topics are new to the second edition:
• Review of electric circuits.
• Fleming’s rule and mutual inductance.
• Exact and approximate equivalent circuit of a transformer.
• Transformer losses.
• Parallel connection of transformer with equal and unequal voltage ratios.
• Transformer cooling and instrument transformers.
• Power system symbols and per unit systems.
• Demagnetizing and cross magnetizing components.
• Details of armature voltage control method.
• Speed control of dc motor by thyristor and diode.
• Dynamic and regenerative braking of dc motor.
• Approximate equivalent circuit and condition for maximum mechanical power of
three-phase induction motor.
• Classification of three-phase motor by properties.
• Cogging, crawling and double squirrel cage motor.
• Details of speed control of three-phase induction motor.
• Stepper motor and its classification.
Answers to all exercise problems are included at the end to encourage problem solving. An instructor’s manual is also available to academics upon request.
Table of Contents
Preface / Review of Electric Circuits / Basics of Magnetic Circuits / Transformer and Per Unit System / Direct Current Generators / Direct Current Motors / Control and Starting of a DC Motors / Three-phase Induction Motor / Starting, Control and Testing of an Induction Motor / Synchronous Generator / Synchronous Motor / Single-phase Motors / References / Appendixes / Index.