Introduction to Wavelet Transform: A Signal Processing Approach
Author(s): S. V. Narasimhan, Nandini Basumallick, S. Veena
E-ISBN: Publication Year: 2011
Binding: Paper Back Dimension: 185mm x 240mm Weight: 960
About the book
INTRODUCTION TO WAVELET TRANSFORM: A Signal Processing Approach, has been developed in a simple, logical and directed way. To understand this subject, the background required is physics and mathematics at a junior degree level and the basic knowledge of signals and systems. The ease of understanding has been facilitated by providing all the intermediate steps in a mathematical derivation and physical meaning of the mathematical relations, preserving the rigor and depth of the subject.
• Develops the Wavelet transform (WT) concepts in a simple, logical and directed way bringing out physical concepts with new insights and explanations.
• Provides essential fundamentals of signal processing, Multirate sampling and the perfect reconstruction filter bank in 6 chapters.
• Introduces WT as an extension of Short time Fourier transform by interpreting it as a filter bank.
• Covers in detail: Continuous WT, Discrete WT, Multiresolution formulation of WT and wavelet design.
• As a special feature, the chapter on implementation of WT covers the signal reconstruction from the WT in complete depth. The implementation also covers harmonic WT and lifting approach (in a separate chapter)
• The chapter on M-channel filter bank along with other chapters facilitates the use of the book for an introductory course on Multirate systems and Filter banks.
• Provides the important topic on time frequency distributions and their relation to WT. The applications chapter exposes the reader to a wide variety of applications of the WT in different fields and also indicates some recent research trends.
• A soft copy of the MATLAB programs used for the illustrations is available on request from publisher.
Table of Contents
Preface / Acknowledgments / Introduction / Signal Approximation / Signal Transmission and Power Spectral Density / Sampling Theorem and Development of DFT / Multirate Sampling Fundamentals / Perfect Reconstruction Filter Bank / Short time Fourier Transform (STFT) / Wavelet Transform / Discrete Wavelet Transform / Multiresolution Formulation of Wavelet Systems / Wavelet Design / Wavelet Transform Implementation / M-channel Filter Bank / Wavelet Transform Implementation by Lifting / Time-frequency Distribution / Wavelet Transform Applications / Appendix / Bibliography / Index.
Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students, Professionals and Researchers