E-ISBN: Publication Year: 2009
Binding: Paper Back Dimension: 185mm x 240mm Weight: 900
About the book
Systematic Botany discusses classical and fundamental aspects of systematics as well as its recent developments. Special attention has been paid to the chapters on Origin of Angiosperms, Theory of Evolution, Variation and Speciation and Evolutionary Trends in Angiosperm Flowers, The International Code of Botanical Nomenclature, important herbaria, techniques for the preparation, storage and study of herbarium specimens, botanical gardens, and taxonomic literature which are discussed in detail and includes the study of some selected families belonging to 21 orders. For each family, general features and evidence from anatomical, embryological, chromosome numbers and phytochemical data have been added and evolutionary trends discussed. Attention has also been drawn to economic importance, geographical distribution of these families and endangered plants wherever possible.
• Hierarchy in plant groups and the concepts of species, genus and family
• Intricate rules of plant nomenclature, biocode and phylocode
• All major systems of classification
• Taxonomic literature, important herbaria and botanical gardens of the world
• Sources of taxonomic evidence, serotaxonomy, molecular systematics and numerical taxonomy
• Origin of angiosperms, theory of evolution, cladistics and evolutionary trends in angiosperm flowers
• Detailed study of some selected families
• Illustrations and description of some important taxa worked out in the laboratories
NEW TO THE SECOND EDITION:
• Description and illustrations of some important plants belonging to 21 orders
Table of Contents
Preface to the Second Edition / Preface to the First Edition / Acknowledgements / Introduction / Taxonomic Hierarchy / Nomenclature / Identification / Classification / Characters and Sources of Taxonomic Evidence / Numerical Taxonomy / Origin of Angiosperms / Theory of Evolution / Evolutionary Trends in Angiosperm Flowers / Variation and Speciation / Some Selected Families of Angiosperms / Some Illustrated Taxa of Angiosperm Families / Concluding Remarks: Taxonomy – Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow / Appendix I / Appendix II / Glossary / References / General Index / Plant Index.